inHERITAGE.ca

Heritage Village, Vineland, Ontario

Translate this Page

English Chinese (Traditional) Dutch French German Greek Italian Korean Polish Spanish Ukrainian

Village Drivers Poll

Reduce Speed Limit?
 

Your Pet Here?

goat-3-icon.png
Register today!

Wine, don't whine.

pillitteri200.jpg

turretThe Baron and Countess  Peach

Baron Charles Nádherný Borutin and the Countess Monica Bubna-Litić were once the resident Nobility of Heritage Village. Their titles were anachronous, but still recognized by the aristocratic families of Europe.

Charles Nádherný von Borutin, was born in the Castle of Adršpach (Adersbach), Bohemia, on March 11, 1919.  The family first entered Austrian nobility on August 15, 1838, and were elevated to the rank of Ritter (Knights) in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, on August 20, 1865. Any noble living in the Hapsburg-ruled lands including Bohemia,  were also considered part of the Austrian aristocracy. Charle's father was Konstatin Freiherr (Baron) Nádherný von Borutin who married Karolina Grafin (Countess) von Gudensu. The family held three major estates: the Castle Aderspach, and the Estate Jistehnic (Janovice) in Bohemia; plus the Estate Moravce in Moravia. Their uncle owned Chotoviny Castle and its grand park. The Nádherný family were among the wealthiest in the Kingdom of Bohemia. 

Charles was custodian of the family’s Imperial Grant with Seal.  Unfortunately, Aristocracy was abolished by law in December 1918 at the birth of the independent Czechoslovak Republic – but the noble families of Europe knew their place, and retained their social status.  That ended after World War II with the class struggle that gave birth to a Communist State by 1948.  It was a disaster for the family, when their estates were seized and ransacked by Russian troops, and the family had to flee.  The villagers  stole the contents, as Czechs battled Czechs. 

On September 29, 1946, Charles married Milada Blecha and together they arrived in Canada as political refugees, on January 7, 1950 to make a new life in Beamsville, Ontario.  Here Charles transformed himself from aristocrat to peach farmer.  His first wife passed away in 1967 after raising  sons, Douglas and Philip.  From the local Czech diaspora, he found his second wife, the Countess Monica Bubna-Litić, herself a descendant of former Austrian nobility.  She had arrived in 1969 as a refugee from the Soviet invasion of 1968. They married in 1975 and by about 1989, moved to a new bungalow at 3462 Frederick Avenue, in Heritage Village.   Their aristocratic tastes were reflected in their furniture and the garden Monica kept – a miniature replica of the grand acreages they played in as children..

The coat of arms of the family Nádherný von Borutin showed three crowned helmets, with gold visors, facing forward, showing noble rank and ownership of three estates.  The quartered shield indicated acquisition by marriage union of three great families.  Having supporters by way of griffins, indicated special honours. 

The much less elaborate armorial bearings for the family Bubna-Litić, were those of a higher nobility (hoher Adel) - being far more ancient - from a time when knights' shields were of simple design.  The Countess Monica Bubna-Litić could trace her ancestry back to 1394, when the family entered the Noblesse de race of Bohemia.  Their ancestors became Barons in 1629 and Counts in 1644.  Monica was the daughter of Count Zdenko Bubna-Litić and Karola von Dürfeld, and was born in Vienna.  .

In 1992 the new Czech Republic returned some estates back to the Nádherný family, but Charles declined to participate.  He was content here in our Village, playing table tennis with his neighbour Richard Franke.  The Baron and Countess are no longer with us, but their aristocratic charm lingers in the memories of our older residents.  On our Clubhouse tennis trophy, Charles, the retired peach farmer, shares an honoured spot beside Frank, the retired engineer.

  

Armorial Bearings for Families  Nádherný Borutin  &   Bubna-Litić 

(Paintings by Hans Dietrich Birk, circa 1983, for National Archives of Canada)

Further Research

http://www.yellowchateau.com/ancestry.pdf

Hans Dietrich Birk (1984)  Armorial Heritage in Canada of European Continental European Families,  Armorial Heritage Foundation.  235p.

 Note on heraldic rules:  Continental Europeans utilized arms as family emblems and did not follow the "One Man, One Coat of Arms" as practiced by the British Heralds. The British system was motivated by the commercial nature of the College of Arms in London since 1640, and their need for repeat business. 

 

 

 

Breadcrumb Trail

Home Page Village Our Villagers Our Nobility
Menu Font Size
Increase Font Size Reset Font Size Decrease Font Size